Melanie Spiller & Coloratura Consulting
A Tonic for Ramshackle Wordsmiths
Copyright Melanie Spiller 2012. Do not copy without permission.
Brownie for One (Vegan)
2 Tablespoons vegan butter, melted
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 dash salt
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
15 (or so) raisins or other dried fruit (cranberries are very nice. Sometimes I toss in candied ginger pieces, too)
A small half-handful of nut pieces (macadamia, peanut, almonds, etc.)
1. In a 12 oz. coffee mug, whisk together the butter, water, vanilla, and salt.
2. Add the cocoa powder and whisk well.
3. Add the sugar and whisk well. It seems like a lot of sugar. Just trust.
4. Add the flour and whisk well.
5. Add the fruit and nuts and mix them in. Use the whisk and continue the low-impact clean-up trend.
6. Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. For a molten center, try 60 seconds; a uniformly done center takes 90 seconds. I liked about 75 seconds best, which was half cake-half pudding. The center was slightly molten. Be careful not to overcook.
Enjoy with a spoon, straight out of the mug, but give it a couple of minutes. The brownie will be very hot.