1 1/2 pounds blanched almonds
6 cups flat mineral water or filtered water
2 garlic cloves
3/4 cup aged sherry vinegar, plus 1 Tbls
2 1/2 cups Spanish extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 Tbls
3 slices rustic bread, crusts removed, about 2 ounces
4 fresh black figs, quartered
4 tablespoons roughly chopped Spanish Marcona almonds
1 Tbls chopped chives
1. Put the blanched almonds in a bowl, cover with the mineral water, and let soak overnight.
2. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pot over high heat. Add the garlic and boil for 1 minute. Drain and cool the garlic.
3. Drain the soaked almonds, reserving the soaking liquid, and put them in a blender or food processor.
4. Add the garlic, reserved soaking liquid, 3/4 cup of the sherry vinegar, 2 1/2 cups of the olive oil, and bread, and puree until smooth.
5. Place a colander over a large bowl and line it with cheesecloth. Pour the soup into the colander. Once most of the liquid has passed through the colander, gather the cheesecloth around the remaining solids and squeeze gently to release as much of the liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
6. Pour the soup into a pitcher and chill for 30 minutes.
To serve, divide the fig pieces and Marcona almonds among soup bowls. Pour in the cold soup, sprinkle with chopped chives, and drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbls vinegar and 2 Tbls olive oil.